The Department of Civil Engineering is one of the first departments to be consolidated in IIT Madras and offers world-class education as well as research into the field of civil engineering. It boasts a strong team of faculty members with diverse expertise, ranging from structural to geothermal to transportation engineering and more. Research is an integral part of the department’s interests and it actively facilitates incubation of projects funded by industry and government. The research avenues encompass both fundamental and applied aspects of the field and address contemporary challenges plaguing the industry today.
The Department of Civil Engineering offers the following degree programs at various levels:
- B.Tech (4 years): The selection to this program is through the JEE Advanced examination. The BTech program is an eight semester course that covers basics in engineering and sciences in the first year and core civil engineering courses in the subsequent years.
- B.Tech+M.Tech (4+1 years): Students currently admitted to the BTech program in Civil Engineering can upgrade to a dual degree program in the following specializations:
- Building Technology and Construction Management
- Environmental Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Hydraulics and Water Resource Engineering
- Structural Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- MSc: Students with a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from any recognized University can apply to the MSc program. It is a research-oriented postgraduate program which spans five courses and thesis work. A Graduate Test Committee monitors the progress of each candidate, who is admitted to the program only after an interview process conducted throughout the year.
- MTech: The MTech program spans four semesters with two semesters of course work and two semesters of project work. Admission to the program is through the GATE Examination and subsequent interview process.
- PG Diploma: The PG Diploma program is in association with Chennai Metro Rail Ltd (CMRL) and accepts students through GATE and subsequent interview process.
- PhD: The PhD coursework consists of two core courses and at least four electives at the postgraduate level. The course for full time scholars is 2-5 years and for externally registered students it is 2-7 years. A Doctoral Committee (DC) monitors the progress of each scholar. Students are admitted to the program via interviews conducted twice a year.
This content on this page is provided by a current student or an alumnus of IIT Madras. While we follow best practices, it is possible that there are errors, or the content is incomplete. When in doubt, always verify with an official source.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article