Financial limitations are sometimes one of the biggest obstacles for students when seeking higher education. After realizing this challenge, IIT Madras has made outstanding efforts to ensure students have access to a top-notch education regardless of their socioeconomic circumstances. IIT Madras has developed an atmosphere that encourages and empowers students to achieve in their academic endeavors through various scholarships and financial aid programs.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Scholarships at IIT Madras
Scholarships at IIT Madras
IIT Madras encourages deserving students by providing different types of scholarships. The Institute also helps students requiring financial help with selective scholarship amounts and fee waivers. Some special scholarship schemes exist for SC, ST, and female students. Previous alums of the institute give some scholarships, while others are from companies and the Government of India. There are procedures for obtaining the scholarship, and every scholarship application is thoroughly checked and verified before approval.
The following are the scholarships provided by the Institute:
- Institute Merit-cum-Means Scholarship
- Institute Free Studentship
- Institute Notional Prize
- Institute SC/ST Scholarship
- Girish Ready Scholarship
- Indian Women’s Association at Bonn Scholarship
- Sri V Ranga Raju Memorial Scholarship
- Kanchi Kamakoti Jagadguru Sri Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi Endowment Award
- M Sankaraiah and M Saradha (Mithigiri) Scholarship
- Dr. K Vasanth Rau Scholarship
Other Scholarships available at IIT Madras are:
- Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, GoI. - Central Sector Scholarship For SC students
- Ministry of Tribal Affairs, GoI. - Central Sector Scholarship For ST students
- Ministry of Minority Affairs, GoI Meritcum-Means Scholarship
- MHRD scholarship for single Girl child
- Pratibha Scholarship of Govt. of Andhra Pradesh
- Aditya Birla Scholarship
- Inlakhs Scholarship
- ST Engineering Scholarship
- Shipping Corporation of India Scholarship
- TODAI Scholarship
- Nissan Scholarship
- DAE, DGFS Scholarship by DRDO
- IIT Madras 72 batch Scholarship
- Inspire Scholarship (Department of Science and Technology, Government of India)
- SSAN Ananya Educational trust
Details regarding eligibility and scholarship amount can be found here.
Does IIT Madras offer Semester Exchanges with Foreign Universities?
IITM also offers its students the option to study one semester abroad at a prestigious university. If a student applies for this exchange program, the team at IITM tries their best to get them a scholarship to cover the entire semester cost. This is based on the student's academic performance, co-curricular activities, and overall performance.
Does IIT Madras offer any Financial Aid to International Students?
Many international students apply to IIT Madras primarily through scholarship programs like the Indian Council for Cultural Relations (ICCR) and Study in India (SII). Of these, the brightest candidates clear our stringent selection processes and are given an offer letter (approximately 10% of the applicants). However, only 20% of this pool are awarded a scholarship and join. The rest can only pursue a degree at IIT Madras with a scholarship, given their financial circumstances. IIT Madras has launched nine MTech programs for international students in topical areas and cutting-edge science and technology to combat this challenge. These programs include cyber-physical systems, data sciences, quantum computing, etc. The Institute envisions providing scholarships to foreign M.Tech students to cover tuition fees and living expenses on par with domestic students' current HTTA and HTRA pay.
Further details regarding the Scholarship program for international students can be found here.
This content on this page is provided by a current student or an alumnus of IIT Madras. While we follow best practices, it is possible that there are errors, or the content is incomplete. When in doubt, always verify with an official source.
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article